Sunday, May 1, 2016

I want to write again! I can feel it inside... FAITH

I want to write again! I can feel it inside, that desire to put my heart into words, to bring praise to God through writing.  I have asked the Lord to help me focus on faith this year. It only seems fitting to write on that first.

FAITH
“Now faith is the assurance of things hoped for, the conviction of things not seen.” (Hebrews‬ ‭11:1‬)

What is faith?

To believe, to trust, but more than that...

The assurance of things hoped for... What does that even mean?

The conviction of things not seen... Again, meaning?

Well, the scriptures also say, “for we walk by faith, not by sight-” (2 Corinthians‬ ‭5:7‬) We live inside the realm of time. Although I sometimes have a good idea of what might come tomorrow, I do not really know what the future holds. I cannot SEE the future.

BUT, the Word says I can have assurance (a great confidence based on the truth I know, the truth written down long ago of our great God and Savior and His promises) of things hoped for (like all things good: love! peace! joy! mercy! grace! hope! salvation! eternal life!). The Word says that I can be convicted (strongly persuaded, convinced because there is proof) of this even without seeing it. This is faith!

Someone recently reminded me, "God is good, and that's enough." Isn't that true? Isn't that the basis of our faith? Even if I know nothing else, it is enough. This week I asked a group of 3rd graders what faith is as we discussed that a "shield of faith" is part of our spiritual armor. One answered that it is "not doubting." When we have confidence in who God is, we can trust Him: faith, without doubt. The scriptures say, "in addition to all, taking up the shield of faith with which you will be able to extinguish all the flaming arrows of the evil one.” (Ephesians‬ ‭6:16‬) That's powerful! Faith is our shield, not only blocking the enemy's arrows, but also extinguishing their flames.

Faith is not only a weapon of defense in this spiritual war; we are saved by faith! “For by grace you have been saved through faith; and that not of yourselves, it is the gift of God.” (Ephesians‬ ‭2:8‬). What a beautiful gift!

May we have faith in Him who is faithful, faith to believe unto salvation and faith to keep on believing all He has for us and our futures. “Let us hold fast the confession of our hope without wavering, for he who promised is faithful.” (Hebrews‬ ‭10:23‬)

I pray the Lord continues to teach me and grow me in the area of faith. May He do this for you as well.  "I believe; help my unbelief!" (Mark‬ ‭9:24‬b)

No comments: