Sunday, December 31, 2017

2017 with the Merciful One


MERCY was the word I chose for 2017. It was a year spent in the Word, looking at just how merciful my Lord and Savior was and is and will always be.  It was a year of seeing that mercy is so much more than just withheld punishment, although it does include that for sure. God’s mercy is so rich, so full of love, undeserved love. It is so closely tied to grace that I can hardly speak of His mercy without speaking of His grace. His compassion, His lovingkindness, His forbearance toward mankind, once His enemies, is indescribable. Oh how He loves us.

I enjoyed reading through the entire Bible this year, a great deal aloud with my children (which was a HUGE blessing), and page after page, I saw my merciful Savior. It truly is a story about One God and His love for a people who do not deserve His favor, who fail time and time again, but who He chooses to show mercy to time and time again, who He lavishes with grace time and time again.   

I thought this year was going to be all about how I could be more merciful, and I definitely think that God is showing me where I need more mercy, but it really wasn’t about me at all. It was all about Him, about His mercy, about His story for all mankind, His desire to show them mercy by the giving of the Son. As I reflect back on Christmas, and I think forward towards Good Friday and Resurrection Sunday, I am in awe of my God, Who loves us enough to step down from the glory of Heaven to show us mercy, that we might receive His grace, that we might believe, that we might receive adoption as sons of God, that we might have eternal life in Him. (John 3:16, John 6:38-40, Galatians 4:4-5) He did this while we were still sinners, still enemies (Romans 5:8-10). By His great mercy, He reconciled us to Himself.

It has been many years since the Lord made me His own, since I was born again, since I called upon the name of the Lord and was saved, but as long as I walk upon this earth, I will daily need His mercy, and praise God He provides. (Hebrews 4:6) I am so incredibly thankful to have the very Word of God at my fingertips, to be able to freely share the Word with my children, with other children as I serve at my church, with women in my community, with friends, with the world. It is not only an incredible privilege; it is my duty because of the mercy He has bestowed on me. May I stay in a place of awe of the God Who loves us enough to give us His very words for life. (John 6:68) Life does have an instruction book, and the Creator of Life, full of mercy and grace gave it to us. We can know His will as we read His Word.

2017 has been a good year of walking with the Merciful One. I am still in great need of His lessons on mercy and pray He continues to lead me to be merciful as He is merciful. (Luke 6:36) Now on to 2018, thankful that I never walk alone, that I can be strong and courageous, for my Savior will never fail me or forsake me (Deuteronomy 31:6), and on to a new word: NOURISH (Ephesians 4).
 
Mercy, it saved me.

Mercy sustains me.

Mercy’s a gift from my Savior.

May mercy be mine to share.
 
“Surely goodness and mercy shall follow me all the days of my life,
and I shall dwell in the house of the LORD forever.” Psalm23:6
 

 



No comments: