Wednesday, August 29, 2012

Rejoicing and being glad in the day that the Lord gave us at a waterpark


What a wonderful day we had as a family this Monday!  We all five spent the day playing in the sun at Hawaiian Falls Waterpark.  As we walked in a large banner read, “This is the day the Lord has made; let us rejoice and be glad in it.”  Good start. 

The kids ran to the water.  A huge pineapple was filling up with water and dumping out on to the gleeful children.  A good soaking really helps beat the heat on an August day in Texas.  Timothy started stepping backwards, fear on his face.  I am reminded of how young he is, even when he often wants to be so big and tough.

Lydia went straight to a slide and went down screaming, “Binket,” as she had been instructed before we left so that Binket wouldn’t miss the fun.  I love how thoughtful my little girl can be and how God has given her such a sharp memory.

I walked Timothy to a slide a little ways from the scary pineapple and we whizzed down together.  He was all-smiles, as was I.  Slide after slide I held my sweet boy in my lap, and we just had fun together, not thinking about anything but the here and now, enjoying the moment.  I smiled and thought about how much fun I was having, how happy I was, what a gift this day was.

Timothy eventually got over the fear of the pineapple, even though he made it clear that he was not going to like it with his strong words, “I hate that thing.”  Tony took our big boy Luke to do big slides, and Lydia and Timothy stayed with me in the kiddie area that was by no means too kiddy.  I was having a blast.  Timothy decided he was super brave and could go down by himself, and Lydia enjoyed some Momma lap-time down the medium slides. 

Tony and Luke made it back for a switch-up, and he took the littles and I took my big.  It doesn’t seem like that long ago when my fearless first child started having a bit of a fear of heights and no longer wanted to do big slides at the park.  I suppose that was five years ago, but oh how quickly it passes.

I climbed the steps of the large waterslide with Luke, noticing how long his legs are getting, how his shoulders are broadening, and how he is eager to be brave and do big kid stuff.  We talked as we waited, and I was happy, happy in this moment, thankful for this child.  I wrapped my legs around my big boy, and we squealed together as we went down this great slide.  We immediately decided we should do it again.

Back and forth, Tony and I went from littles to big, taking turns having fun with our kids and even did a few laps all together in the lazy river and stayed as a big group around some medium slides in the family area.  Lydia wanted to be brave and do a slide that she was just now tall enough to do, but her fear was too great.  She would get to the top and change her mind.  Finally she decided she was going to do it.  She said, “I’m gonna do it for you, Momma.”  She made her way to the top and went down.  She was so thrilled with herself, and I was thrilled with her fear-conquering feat.  We celebrated with cheers and hugs.  She decided to try another thrilling slide and did it, raising her arms in the air and beaming with Momma’s cheers.

All day was like that, just happy and cheerful.  It was the happiest day I have had since I saw Kyson alive and wiggling around on the ultrasound screen back in June.  I know that there will be more hard days ahead, but I was thankful for this day this summer where I treasured my smallest son’s childishness, rejoiced as why daughter conquered her fears, and realized that my first born was growing up before my eyes into a great young man, where I hugged each child close and loved being with them, playing with them, laughing and squealing together, where I kept telling the man I adore how much fun this was, and was so happy with the family that we have become, and where I just let today be today and enjoyed it for all it was. “This is the day the Lord has made; let us rejoice and be glad in it.”  

No comments: