Sunday, January 1, 2017

2017 with Mercy

2017, another year, another word to focus on in seeking to learn and grow in my Lord. In December, I thought it’s almost the new year so I should probably start thinking and praying about what word I should focus on in the new year. I focused my mind towards prayer, and I got out the mental words, Lord what… “Mercy,” I heard in my mind before I even finished my silent prayer. Well, okay then.  Mercy it is.  I had recently read the book of Hosea. Hosea 6:6 says,

For I desire mercy and not sacrifice,
And the knowledge of God more than burnt offerings.

At a time in my life with five active children at home, this homeschooling momma knew that mercy is definitely an area where the Lord can grow me.  Sometimes it is hard to remember that they are just children and are learning and growing.  Their attention spans can be short, they can forget expectations/ rules/manners, they can have bad days and bad attitudes, they can argue and fight, and they are in need of a merciful mother, displaying the love and mercy of the Savior.  Luke 6:36 says,

Be merciful, just as your Father is merciful.

And those five children’s mother can be a bit hard on herself, as she often falls short. She/I am in need of mercy.  Praise God, His mercies are new every morning (Lamentations 3:22)! Praise God it is His mercy and love and grace that bring us eternal life! (Ephesians 2:4-5) He can definitely help us with mercy in each aspect of our lives.

But God, being rich in mercy, because of His great love with which He loved us,
even when we were dead in our transgressions, made us alive together with Christ
(by grace you have been saved).

            When I’m going to study a word, I like to look at definitions and synonyms, other words that are used in different translations.  Mercy is also translated as steadfast love, loyalty, and compassion. It is defined as:

compassionate or kindly forbearance shown toward an offender, an enemy,
or other person in one's power; compassion, pity, or benevolence.

I remember learning in church as a teenager that grace is “getting what we do not deserve (unmerited favor),” while mercy is “not getting what we deserve (withheld punishment).” 

            I am looking forward to spending a year with mercy and all the Lord has to teach me and how He desires to grow me.  May you also have a very blessed 2017, full of mercy.  I’ll end with one more verse about mercy. Micah 6:8:
He has shown you, O man, what is good;
And what does the Lord require of you
But to do justly,
To love mercy,
And to walk humbly with your God?

This is my goal for this year, to do justly, to love mercy, and to walk humbly with my God, only through His strength, and all for His glory!


            

1 comment:

Unknown said...

It is His mercy that restores, so grateful I am a recipient and His mercies are new each morning