Thursday, January 12, 2017

Treasures in Ezekiel (Ch 5-12)

     I just love how there are little treasures to find in the scripture. It can be frustrating not to understand what we read, but it is also really cool when we dig in and find gems that perhaps we didn't see before or that the Lord wants to remember me us. Yesterday and today I read Ezekiel 5-12, and there was so much richness, I decided to write about a few things that stuck out to me.
     In chapter 5 we read Ezekiel using his hair as an object lesson. He has to shave his hair and beard, a sign of mourning, and divide his hair up to signify the judgement of God on the rebellious people. What stuck out to me was those few strands that He tucked away. Praise God for the remnant of faithful that God will preserve! I thought of myself as being tucked into the Lord's garment as His. That thought made me smile. It is hard to read of all the idolatry, all the unfaithfulness, and the judgements that the Lord must deliver. God repeatedly says that His judgements will make them know that He is the Lord. It is just for the Lord to bring destruction to Israel and Judah.
     In chapter 8, Ezekiel is taken in a vision to Jerusalem to see the temple and how it has been defiled.  I think back of the building of the temple, all those passages about the specifics for the perfect temple, where God could meet with His people. I think of when the temple is finished and the great sacrifices that are made and the moment when God's presence comes down and fills the temple. I can only imagine the sight! And then here we are at the same place, this holy place, and it is being utterly defiled. Right there where the people were supposed to be worshipping the One True God, they are practicing idolatry. It is no wonder that the Lord allowed the people to be taken into captivity.
     In chapter 9, the judgement of death on the idolators is to be delivered, but we can't miss verse 4, where a mark is put on the people that were grieving and lamenting the detestable acts taking place, a mark to save there lives, just like in Exodus when a mark was placed on doorposts that the angel of death might pass over. It is also like the mark spoken about in Revelation on God's people. This  mark was the Hebrew letter tau, the last letter of their alphabet, and it resembles our x, or a cross. Many Christians believe that this was a foreshadowing of the cross that would be the place of salvation. How cool is that?!
     In chapter 10 and 11, we see the Lord's presence depart from the temple. The part I didn't want to miss here was that God didn't just allow His people to be taken away; He went with them! He says that He has been a sanctuary for them where they have gone! And I've read the rest of the story! I know about Jesus coming to take the place of the temple, and how He gives His life, and then how we as His followers become His temple! He will dwell within His people! And then verses 19 and 20! Praise God! Praise God! He removes our heart of stone! He gives us a heart of flesh! We can walk with Him! We can obey Him! We shall be His people, and He will be our God! I'm so glad I have the New Testament! I know that I am included in God's people through faith! Praise God! Praise  God!